It is important for you to follow the guidelines below before surgery in order to avoid delay or cancellation on the day of your procedure.
Scheduling: Your doctor’s office will send us all necessary information to schedule your surgery.
One of our nurses will call you prior to your surgery to collect information about your health history and answer any questions you may have. We will send a text 1 business day before your surgery to advise your of your arrival time. If you do not have the ability to receive texts, we will call with an arrival time. If you have not received a text or call by the afternoon before your surgery, or if you have additional questions, please call us at(571) 445-3800 between 8:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Food and Drink: Do not eat any food after midnight the night before your surgery.
Alcohol: Do not drink alcohol for at least 12 hours before your arrival.
Smoking: Do not smoke after midnight the night before your surgery.
Clothing: Wear loose, casual, comfortable clothing to fit over dressings.
Makeup, Nail Polish, Jewelry (including body jewelry): Please remove all these items before surgery including wedding rings and earnings and any body piercings . For safety reasons, you will not be allowed to wear any metal items in the operating room. Please do not wear any makeup, as it can hide certain clinical signs. Please also limit the use of perfumes.
Contact Lenses: If you wear contact lenses, you will probably have to remove them for the surgery, so consider bringing your glasses. If you have to wear your contacts, please bring contact solution and contacts case. If you wear eyeglasses, please bring your eyeglass case.
Valuables: Please leave valuables at home. Haymarket Surgery Center is not responsible for the loss of valuable items at the facility.
Escorts: You will need to make arrangements for the following assistance during and following your surgery:
- Driver: Once you have had anesthesia, you will not be able to drive yourself home. You will need to make plans to have an adult drive you home following your surgery. Should you be taking a taxi home, you still must have someone accompany you home.
- Escort: A friend, relative, or dedicated caregiver MUST stay with you for 24 hours following your surgery.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center AT ALL TIMES for children and dependent adults.
- Care for Children: If you have young children at home for whom you normally care, plan for someone else to care for them for at least the first 24 hours following your surgery.
- Interpreter: If the patient cannot speak English or uses sign language, we will utilize our language service while the patient is at the facility. Please contact Haymarket Surgery Center at (571) 445-3800 to let us know your needs.
Notify Your Surgeon if You:
- Have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting, or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery.
- Suspect you may be pregnant.
- Are taking: diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these 1-2 weeks before your surgery. You can discuss this with your surgeon.
- You should discuss any current illness with your surgeon prior to the day of surgery as your surgery may need to be postponed until your illness is resolved.
Patients under 18 years of age: A parent or legal guardian must accompany all patients under 18 years of age. Proof of legal guardianship must be provided. A consent form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian before medications or treatment can be given.